Great Grandma Ruth’s Apple Spice Cookies
By Jenna Peterson, Minneapolis, MN
They’re spongy soft chewy things with fine nuts and raisins in them, along with the appley cinnamon flavor. Hmmmmm, you can’t eat just one!
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup thick applesauce
1. Cream the shortening, sugar, salt, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, and the
egg all together in a bowl
2. Combine the soda and the thick applesauce, then add it to the big
3. Add the flour, and stir together until it looks creamy.
4. Pour boiling water over the raisins, and let sit until plump. Mix
into the dough.
5. Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 325 to 350 degrees until they just
start to turn golden brown. They should still be a pale tan.
ENJOY. You better make an extra batch.