Industrial Strength Brownies
Dear Natalie – Love the live CD! Truly a perfect piece of work. More on that later. For
now, here is a sure-fire, knock-em-out, leave-them-begging-for-more
dessert. Try these. But, fair warning, these are quite intense!Industrial Strength Brownies
YIELD: about 16 brownies
1 1/3 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to tepid
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled to tepid
3 ounces bittersweet (or semie sweet) chocolate, melted and cooled to tepid
5 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325蚌. Spray the inside of a lO-by-1O-by-2-inch
glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
3. Whisk the melted butter, melted unsweetened chocolate and melted
bittersweet chocolate in medium-size mixing bowl until well-combined.
(Hint- you can put all three in a microwave safe bowl, heat, melt, and mix
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs for 1 minute to blend, add the
sugar and whisk until just incorporated. Blend in the melted butter and
chocolate mixture. Blend in the vanilla extract. Sift over the flour
mixture and slowly stir (or whisk) it in, mixing until the particles of
flour are absorbed. Mix in the chocolate chips.
5. Scrape the batter into the prepared glass pan. Spread the batter evenly
in the pan and smooth over the top using a spatula or knife.
6. Bake the brownies for 30 minutes, or until set.
7. Cool the brownies completely in the pan on a rack. Refrigerate the
brownies for 2 hours, or until firm enough to cut. Cut the block of
brownies into 4 quarters, then cut each quarter into 4 squares.